Thursday, December 05, 2013

United State of Pop: Pop or Flop?


DJ Earworm's most-awaited mashup for 2013 is already up!

So then I decided to do a review on the other mashups of DJ Earworm from 2008 to present.

I first learned DJ Earworm's mashup in 2009. The United State of Pop 2009 (Blame it on the Pop) was being played in the game Night Club City on Facebook and it immediately gave me the Last Song Syndrome. It was a love at first hear. 

Later on, I learned that it was an annual thing. DJ Earworm compiles the pop songs and music videos in the US which made it to the charts or made an impact in the music scene for each year, hence dubbed "United State of Pop". He also creates a theme every year. IMO, that makes him better than the other DJs who make annual mashups because he could always summarize the year into one theme which was hard because there are many artists, songs, music videos to consider but that's where he's good at. It's not just the mix of the songs and videos, it's "what happened" to the music for every year that's why it's something to look forward to. 

Sometimes I don't realize we're closing the year until I hear his craft. It has been my year-end indicator. I'm glad DJ Earworm always pull off good year-ender mashups. It makes me realize that several things are happening in the span of 365 days.

Here's an ordered review of DJ Earworm's United State of Pop mashups from 2008 to 2013. (Order from my least favorite to the best mashup by far)

TOP 6: United State of Pop 2013 (Living the Fantasy)


My rate: 2/5 Youtube views: 279K ++ 

Sorry 2013, I love the songs, but this mashup just didn't have a recall. I'm looking for something that is remarkable but I can't find one for this. It's good that there's Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Lorde, Bruno Mars, Swedish House Mafia, Pink and others but why is Lady Gaga's Applause and Katy Perry's Roar not included? Their videos were included but I wasn't able to hear it. My ears just might have missed it but it should be used in the chorus or something. These tracks are phenomenal. Plus, Pink's Just give me a reason deserve to have more exposure because I believe it is the song of the year at least for the general masses. The tune is kinda off as well but I gotta hand it to the man behind it because he did create the right mashup in terms of his song choices, it's just that my choice of songs weren't included. On a recent post of Andi Manzano, she mentioned that DJ Earworm highlights 25 of the year's top tracks according to Billboard's Hot 100.


TOP 5: United State of Pop 2008 (Viva La Pop)


My rate: 3/5 Youtube views: 11M++

I considered that this is the first year-end mashup of DJ Earworm but because it is the first I also looked for something more. Something to keep me drawn to it but I think it lacked on that department. It did cover all the best songs of 2008 but the tune might have an effect to my rate. It's slow and not so happy for a year-ender, but it's Coldplay so nevermind. *Salute*

TOP 4: United State of Pop 2010 (Don't Stop the Pop)


My rate: 3.5/5 Youtube views: 16M++

I'm actually torn for this, whether to choose 2010 or 2011. Both were good. I just have to put this in order but mentally, let's make them tie with 2012 as well. DJ Earworm was also able to compile the good tracks from 2010 from Kesha, Bruno Mars, Usher, T.I., to Enrique Iglesias, Taio Cruz and Rihanna. The sound however, is just too "clubbish" for me. It's not so fast but it's for the party crowd, not so general but I love it. I just don't like the year's theme but that's just me.

TOP 3: United State of Pop 2011 (World go Boom)


My rate: 4/5 Youtube views: 10M++

It's still tied with 2010 and 2012 but plus .5 points for the theme/title because indeed, Year 2011 is the year of BOOM. Almost all songs that topped the charts got "boom" on their lyrics, Nicki Minaj's Super Bass, Katy Perry's Firework, among others. What I like about this mashup is that it's upbeat yet slow and it's not as off as the others mentioned previously. It was still distinctive and almost all the songs we needed to hear were present. *Thumbs up!*

TOP 2: United State of Pop 2012 (Shine Brighter)


My rate: 4.5/5 Youtube views: 8M++

Another plus point .5 for the video and the lyrics mashup. I don't mind about the videos but this one deserves the best video award among all mashups. The music videos chosen were fitting and put together with right timing, like how Gotye appears and how Taylor Swift opened the video. As for the song, all choices were good, maybe it was a good year for music or maybe the mashup made it look that way. .Fun, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Philip Philips, Adele, Flo Rida, Nicki Minaj, Carly Rae Jepsen, One Direction, The Wanted, Katy Perry, etc. The lyrics was a good factor as well. (Yes, I also look into that). I don't know about Kesha but whenever she's part of the mash-up it brings an LSS effect, so plus point for her too because it's not about Rihanna's Shine bright like a diamond, it was Kesha and her Die Young song that made me rank this 2nd. 

TOP 1: United State of Pop 2009 (Blame it on the Pop)



My rate: 5/5  Youtube views: 43M++

Just looking at the number of views on Youtube, no doubt that this mashup ranks first. It was the first mashup I heard and it contained all the elements I'm looking for in a year-ender mashup: good choice of songs, tune, good video, good lyric mash-ups, remarkable. It had a good start and finish. It's also "clubbish" so to speak but this is the kind of mix that even those who do not party would just dance to it. The faces of pop were here: Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga and the good artists from 2009: The Fray, Jay Sean, T.I., Flo rida, Pit Bull, Kanye West, Taylor Swift and others were also here. What is there to ask for? Not to mention it is my kind of year-ender because it gives the bang to the new year's eve. It will leave you LSS-ed and it has a feel-good tune. Just perfect!

I am looking forward to next year's United State of Pop and how DJ Earworm would weave another mashup that will blow our minds and will give us eargasm. Until United State of Pop 2014, ciao.

Thank you, DJ Earworm! Cheers to music and to 2013!

DISCLAIMER: All things mentioned above were solely the personal opinion of this blogger, unofficial ranking. Just a review. Should you wish to negate or agree with her, comment below. Appreciated.

No comments: